Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Good News...Bad News...

The original injury...

Well, this week has been a very good one! Shoutout to the Middleton Vikings basketball team for doing great in state! Couple of bad breaks but still a blast to watch! Also, it was my sister's birthday the day before yesterday, so if you haven't had the chance yet, let her know what's up!

So an update on my health: I went in to get my knee looked at again by the doctors, and they have told me that it doesn't look way too bad; my meniscus is torn again and there is a cyst grown around it, but that they might be able to just cut out the cyst and trim up the meniscus a little bit, and should not be too bad! Well, thats best case scenario anyways. So that was good, but I have other bad news. 

I hurt my foot really bad a few months back playing soccer with the other missionaries in Ecuador, (see photo). Someone kicked me accidentally when going for the ball. It hurt really bad and I wasn't walking to good. That night, when I took off my sock, basically my entire big toe had turned purple and blue and was super swollen. I had called the mission nurses about it, but my toe was still bending so they just told me it was probably just bruised and swollen and it just needed a little time. Well I gave it a little time, and called them back a couple weeks later, because it was still bothering me. They told me just to keep icing it and massaging it, and that even if it were broken there wasn't much they could do about it.

Three months later, in that doctor's office, after they had looked at my knee, I asked them to take a look at my foot to get another perspective at it. He took one look at it and said it looked bad. Then, sent me in for a few x-rays, and a few minutes later came back and told us to come look at the photos. Apparently, there is a huge compound fracture in my big toe! Like, the second bone is almost split in half. They told me that I will need surgery on it as well, and they will do it at the same time as my knee.

Ultimately, the news is that they will operate on my left knee and my right foot, so that will probably mean I will end up in a wheelchair with two bad legs :( 

Well, despite my circumstances, I have been trying to do what I can before I head into the operating table. Yesterday morning, I went out with my dad to help him build some fences. At first I did not want to; I am still having a rough time adjusting to the freezing weather and I was feeling pretty tired!

But we went out, and actually had a great time! Building and repairing the fences and strengthening my bond with my dad turned out to be a really great experience. We got some good stuff done, and there was a good feeling in knowing that we had accomplished something good. I mean, as of yet, the cows and horses haven't gotten out! Even though its been a day, I am still remaining hopeful.

I think from that experience and from others, I have learned a pretty valuable and important life lesson. Sometimes we run into life challenges; we have responsibilities to fulfill, a job to do, or a change to make. Things that we want to happen, but do not necessarily wish to do. I did not want to go build fences that morning, for example. But with that experience, as well as many of the others, I have learned that the hardest part about getting the job done is just getting started. As soon as you get out there and dig in, you commit yourself to the work and all of a sudden, it doesn't become so difficult. That example relates to yesterday morning, but with other, greater things in life. If you want to do something great, go out there and make it happen. The hardest part about it is getting started, but once you have done so, solo hay due seguir adelante. (keep moving forward).

It reminds me of a quote my trainer in the mission once said to me: "There are three types of people in this world: 1. people who dream that something good will happen, 2. people that wish that something good will happen, and 3. The people that go out and make it happen. Be that third person, and you will find what you are looking for." 

Well, I think I will leave you with that little motivational speech for today haha! Just remember that we will run into these things in life, but with our determination and trust in the Lord, we can overcome them. Just like Ammon once said: "I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in His strength I can do all things." (Alma 26:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment